Discovering the Won Institute
Complete a 1 Year Certificate Program
Deepen Your Understanding of Won Buddhism
You've Completed Your Journey!
About the Program
Students may pursue a certificate program or a master’s degree program. The Won Buddhism Certificate (WBC) is an 18-credit program for students wishing to further their understanding of Won Buddhism in the context of other Buddhist and religious traditions. Students can tailor their course of study to satisfy their individual interests and development goals. Certificate students enroll in the Master’s degree program in Won Buddhist Studies and may choose at any time to apply their certificate courses toward the Master’s degree.
The Won Institute of Graduate Studies offers a Certificate in Won Buddhist Studies (WBC) through its Won Buddhist Studies program. The certificate requires 18 credits of academic studies in Won Buddhist and Buddhist doctrine and practice for individuals interested in gaining a deeper understanding of Buddhism.
This is an advanced course of study designed to:
- Deepen acquaintance with Buddhist and Won Buddhist doctrine
- Foster a personal contemplative practice
- Create new, or broaden existing, career options
- Enhance or develop new contemplative skills as part of the life-long process of learning.
to Complete Full Time
of Academic Studies
A graduate-level program, the WBS Certificate will contribute to the careers of professionals in many fields:
- Professional development for teachers wishing to enhance their understanding of Buddhism
- Interfaith research for clergy members wishing to broaden their perspective on religious groups in America
- Religious Studies students who wish to deepen their direct acquaintance with eastern religions
- Scholars pursuing research in Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism
- Integrated health practitioners who wish to gain a deeper understanding of meditation and mindfulness for use in their professional and personal lives
- Religious workers, such as: assistants, group leaders
Gainful Employment Disclosure
- Please note that since this program does not begin until Spring 2019, there is missing information on the disclosure form.
There are no separate prerequisites for admission to the WBS Certificate program beyond those for admission to the Won Institute. However, there may be prerequisites for certain courses. Students who have completed an undergraduate degree in Won Buddhism are eligible to apply directly to the WBS Master’s degree and Certificate programs. Students who have not completed an undergraduate degree in Won Buddhism should first:
take two basic Won Buddhist scripture courses in the PWBS program (PWB100 Canon I and PWB110 Canon II) as prerequisites in order to enroll in master level Won Buddhist scripture courses (WBS531 Heart of Awakening, WBS536 Cultivating the Mind, and WBS541 Ground of Won Buddhist Ethics).
Hye Sung (Hojin) Park, Ph.D., Dharma Chaplain & Assistant Professor Ph.D. Loyola University M.S. Loyola University M.A.M.S. Won Institute of Graduate Studies M.A. Won Kwang University B.A. Won Kwang University [email protected]
Chung Nam Ha, Ph.D., Associate Professor Ph.D. Buddhist Studies, Won Kwang University M.A. Comparative Religious Studies, Western Michigan University M.A. Buddhist Studies, Won Kwang University [email protected]
Grace Song, Assistant Professor Ph.D. in Won Buddhist Studies at Won Kwang University M.A. in Oriental Philosophy at Seoul National University M.WBS in Won Buddhist Studies at Won Institute of Graduate Studies [email protected]
Chong-nyue Park, M.A., Adjunct Professor M.A. Religious Studies, Florida International University B.A. Sociology, Queens College, New York B.A. Won Buddhist Studies, Won Kwang University [email protected]
The tuition for the Certificate in Won Buddhist Studies program is $453 per credit hour. Full-time students are defined as those taking 7.5 credit hours or more. Part-time students are those taking less than 7.5 credit hours.
A list of possible places to search for scholarships compiled by staff, students, and informational mailings to the Institute. By no means comprehensive – good luck with your search! Start here
Ready to learn more?
Complete the form to be connected with an admissions counselor.
Tour The Won Institute of Graduate Studies
See our classrooms, meditation hall, and clinics.