CARES Funding Report
We are pleased to announce that the Institute participated in the Higher Education Emergency Relief CARES funding from the Department of Education. These are limited funds available to eligible students in the form of a grant that does not need to be paid back. As a small specialized school, the Institute has a very small share of the overall funds to distribute.
The Institute has signed a Certification that no less than 50% of the funds received will be available to eligible students. The total amount of funds available to the Institute was $18,913 of which 9,457 was received for CARES Act to provide emergency relief to students.
At the 30 day award mark June 28th – 94% of funds had disbursed, as of the 45 day mark (6/13), 100% have been disbursed.
All students attending the Institute for spring semester were sent the following guidelines for receipt of funds along with a Google form link to apply.
The stipulations from the Department of Education for applying for these funds are:
• Applicants must have been enrolled during the spring 2020 semester
• Applicants cannot be attending wholly online programs (DAc students are not eligible)
• Priority should be given to those most in need
• Please note that per Department of Education requirements International Students and DACA students are not eligible to apply for these funds.
• While funds are disbursed through the Financial Aid system, you do not need to be a financial aid student to apply for this grant. If you are receiving federal financial aid, this disbursement will not add to your loan – it does not need to be repaid. It also will not change your cost of attendance calculation.
• The Institute cannot use these funds to pay for tuition or fees due. The entire award will go to you in the form of a check.
Fifty-five students were eligible for the funds; 16 applied; 15 were chosen, 1 withdrew. The Scholarship Committee of the Institute reviewed the applicants and decided on the basis of answers to the following questions to award an equal amount of $630.47 to the 15 eligible candidates:
• Has the virus impacted your finances? Explain
• Have you incurred additional expenses due to COVID 19? (These could be things like food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, child care, or any other additional expense.) Explain in detail.
• What other impact has COVID 19 had on you or your family that these funds may help?
We are pleased to have participated in this vital program that provided additional support to students in this stressful time. Thank you to all students and staff for your consideration and participation. Please contact me at [email protected] if you have an questions.